Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Medical Clinic


We saw about 250 people today for the first day of clinic. The second day, there were over 350. We got more and more efficient with each day, but everyone worked together as a team very well right from the beginning. I was assigned to triage this year, and it was a lot of fun. I didn't realize how much patient interaction I was missing, since I worked in pharmacy the whole time last year. I was kind of uncomfortable doing blood pressures at first, since I haven't done them since Respiratory school. But it's like riding a bike, I guess! See one, do one hundred is a great way to build confidence. After we were done with triage, usually about an hour or so before the end of clinic, I would go back and work in the pharmacy. So this year I got the best of both worlds and worked both places! Pharmacy was messier this year than last year, because it rained almost every day so often times we were standing in a puddle while filling prescriptions, and things got really muddy. We saw so many people, we ran out of some medicines that Dr. Rachel said she's never run out of before! We saw a total of 1850 people during our 5 days of clinic.
On the last day of clinic, we moved triage outside, which turned out to be a genius idea. We had more space, more air to breathe, and a much more organized line! People were less confused about which line they should be in, and there was a lot less traffic through the entrance of the main medical tent. It worked so well, we only wished we'd thought of it sooner! See the slideshow page for more pictures from the medical clinic. (it takes too long to upload them one by one here...)

No comments:

Post a Comment