Monday, February 28, 2011

Windsurfing in a hurricane

Well, we had a whirlwind of a first day! We arrived at the hospital, changed into our scrubs, and went to tour the PICU. Their six bed unit is quite a bit nicer than I expected it to be. We started the morning going over supplies and meeting the local staff. A partner organization for ICHF, Preemptive Love Coalition (preemptivelove.org)  arranged for us to have two interpreters for the morning, to facilitate our communication with staff. The first surgical case started a little late, so we spent the morning just hanging out in PICU, waiting. We went off the unit to eat lunch, and finished about half our meal when we were called back to PICU to admit the first patient. From the moment we arrived on the unit, until 45 minutes after our shift was supposed to have ended, we were "windsurfing in a hurricane" (as my old boss used to say). I would write more, but I really need to get some sleep. My room mate will arrive around 4am, and my shift starts at 8am! Great news though - I now have hot water for showers! Apparently, patience is key. This morning, while procrastinating about getting under the freezing coldness, I wasted at least 5 solid minutes worth of water. Good things come to those who wait - after that  it was warm! We have decided that my room must be far away from the water heater, hence the extra time it takes for hot water to get there. It's worth the wait for sure! Enjoy your photo tour! I hope to write more tomorrow. =)

  PICU patient bed
 the tank corner!

 the stock corner
 "code cart"
tucking in Patient #1

No comments:

Post a Comment