Friday, June 17, 2011

How I make Chapati

Just so we're clear, this is not "How to make Chapati" this is How I make Chapati. =) These are photos from my second time making chapati. We have chapati (also known as "chapos" in Kenyan slang) on Tuesdays and  Fridays. Rolling out a batch of 60+ chapatis (enough for ONE family) is time consuming work! They usually make the dough in the morning and start the cooking process around 3pm, Chapos are done by 5 and kept warm until dinner at 6:30. Yum!

I usually miss the first few steps of making the dough, letting it rest, and preparing it for rolling. The initial dough is rolled out and cut into strips which are then rolled into a little "cinnamon roll". This is how it looks when I arrive! All 60 piles are neatly lined up on the table, ready to be flattened.

 The first time I helped, I only rolled about 10. Last time, I rolled about half. Today - I rolled the whole batch! They graciously applaud my rolling skills. Usually my chapos are fairly round but occasionally they are a bit heart shaped. And sometimes I get carried away and roll them so thin they can't fit on the pan. (Those get re-cinnamon rolled and flattened a second time!)


They are then cooked in hot oil over the "bucket of fire". This bucket is so handy, I think I will miss it when I get back to America! It's used for a whole host of Kenyan cooking activities. The chapati griddle fits it perfectly and the only utensil is a spoon for the oil- all the turning and flipping of the chapatis is done with bare hands! So far, they haven't let me near the hot oil and fire just yet. Probably a good idea! 

As they are finished they are stacked into a pan to rest until dinner. I've been told I am not Kenyan until I can eat 3 chapati with dinner. Tonight I ate two! 



4 comments:

  1. Are these like tortilla? They look good. I want one. Can you make me some when you get back?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystyne - they are a little bit like tortillas but they are fried in hot oil (tortillas are cooked dry and there is oil in their dough) so they taste pretty different. They are good though! I'll make you some when I get back, I'm hoping I can fit the bucket of fire in my suitcase...=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm off work next Friday so I will be over for dinner! But I work the next morning on Saturday so it will be a quick trip!! Really looks delicious! Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. you should make the dough with shortening so you don't need any oil when cooking it.

    ReplyDelete